Happy Birthday, Brooklyn Bridge!
The Brooklyn Bridge turns 125 years old today. Here are some notes and facts about the bridge from Wikipedia:
- It is the oldest suspension bridge of its size in the U.S.
- The bridge is 5,989 feet long
- The bridge has a pedestrian and bicycle path above the roadway
- Construction began in 1870 and the bridge opened in 1883
- 27 People died during construction
- Robert E. Odlum was the first person to jump off the bridge, back in 1885
- He survived the jump but later died of his injuries
There are plenty more facts like these on Wikipedia, and there are plenty of celebrations going on by the bridge if you happen to be over there!